Gary Belcher was a champion rugby league fullback for the Canberra Raiders, who also represented his native Queensland in State of Origin and his country
Belcher was a Souths Magpies junior (Queensland) who arrived in Canberra in 1986 along with Mal Meninga, to commence an eight year career with the Raiders.
In Belcher’s first and second years with the club (1986 and 1987) he picked up Player of the Year awards and was a part of the team which made the club’s first ever first grade Grand Final, losing 18-8 to the Manly Sea Eagles.
It was obvious from his first two seasons at the club that he was going to become a club legend, with his feats from fullback allowing him to gain selection for Queensland and then for the Australian Kangaroos.
In 1989 Belcher was an instrumental part of the Raiders push towards their first ever premiership and scored a try in the epic 19-14 extra time win over the more fancied Balmain Tigers in the grand final.
Belcher added a second premiership win to his resume inBelcher added a second premiership win to his resume in 1990 when the Raiders defeated Penrith 18-14 to win back to back premierships and was a whisker away from three premierships in a row until the Raiders were beaten by Penrith 19-12 in the 1991 decider.
An injury plagued season in 1992 hampered Belcher’s career and he finished in Canberra in 1993 after playing 148 first grade matches for the club. In his time at the Raiders, Belcher managed to amass 572 points including 69 tries and 148 goals.
Belcher was named in the Raiders all time greatest team at fullback during the clubs 25th anniversary season in 2006.
– 1983-1985 – Souths Magpies (Brisbane), 95 matches
– 2008 – Selected in Souths Magpies Team of the Century
– 1986-1993 – Canberra Raiders, 148 matches
– 1988-1989 – Castleford, 11 matches
– Premiership winner Brisbane Souths 1985 and Canberra 1989 & 1990
– 1986-1993 – Queensland, 16 matches
– 1996 and 2005 Queensland State of Origin Legends Teams
– 1986-1991 – Australia, 15 matches
– Kangaroo Tours (England and France) – 1986 and 1990
– Australian Team Tour (New Zealand) – 1989
– Australian Team Tour (Papua New Guinea) – 1991
– Captained Australia against PNG Island Zone – 1991
Raiders – Player of the Year 1986 and 1987; Player’s Player
1986; Highest Pointscorer 1988; Clubman of the Year 1993; NSWRL and ARL – Dally M Fullback of the Year 1987, 1989,
1990; Dally M Highest Points Scorer ARL 1988 and Dally M Representative Player of the Year 1990
Born: 28 May 1962