Ron started his passion for lawn bowls after retiring from Rugby Union. He then thought he’d try his hand at Golf and joined Yowani Golf Club.
The club later became the Yowani Country Club and introduced lawn bowls. Ron took up the challenge and was soon elected to the bowls committee where he was an active member.
In 1974 – 1977 Ron was President of the Bowls committee and also became a board member of Yowani and from 2001 to 2007 was Deputy President. As a player he won 3 club major pairs, 1 triples and 1 fours championships, and has played over 350 Pennant Games for Yowani.
Ron’s passion for bowls administration began when he was elected Yowani’s delegate to the Federal District Bowls Association in 1974 (later to become Bowls ACT). In 1975 -1978 he was elected to the Pennant and Match Committee of the FEDBA (now Bowls ACT). His involvement in Bowls includes the following:
- 1978- 1982: Chairman of Match Committee & Vice President of FEDBA
- 1986 – 1988: President of ACT Bowls Association (now Bowls ACT).
- 1988 – 1990: Immediate Past President and Executive Member of ACTBA
- 1988 – 1994: Delegate to Australian Bowls and Confederation of Australian Sports.
- 1989: Manager of Australian Team to Pacific Championships in Fiji.
- 1989-1992: Chairman of Australian Selectors
- 1990 to 1992: Vice President of Bowls Australia.
- 1990 to 1992: Treasurer of ACTBA
In 1992 Ron was the first elected President of Bowls Australia. During his term (1992-1994) he was an executive member of the World Bowls board, member of the rules committee of World Bowls Board and Executive member of Australian Commonwealth Games Association.
In 1993 he coached an Australian Under 25’s tour to Malaysia and Hong Kong and in 1994 was the bowls coach at the Commonwealth Games in Victoria, Canada. In 1994 he was chairman of the Bowls Event Management for Australian Bowls.
Ron developed the first strategic plan for Bowls Australia, introduced the interstate five-a-side tournament, saw the re-induction of the Jack-High Tournament and the acceptance of coloured clothing and narrow biased bowls.
In 1996 Ron became a selector and then Chairman of Selectors and Treasurer for Bowls ACT. Ron was awarded the Australian Sports Medal in 2000 and is a life member of Bowls ACT and Yowani.
Born: 16 October 1934