Canberra’s top athletes, teams and special contributors to community sport were recognised today for their outstanding achievements – at the virtual 2021 CBR Sport Awards.
We have a great passion for sport in Canberra and love supporting our elite athletes, teams and community sporting groups.
These awards are just one way to say thank you to those who inspire the next generation – and help shape our sporting culture.
This year’s impressive list of finalists demonstrates the strength of our sporting sector and I’m proud of the achievements and contributions of every finalist.
A huge congratulations the 2021 CBR Sport Award winners:
- Athlete of the Year – Women’s Sport – Laura Peel (Snowsport)
- Athlete of the Year – Men’s Sport- Patty Mills (Basketball)
- Athlete of the Year – Para Sport – James Turner (Athletics)
- Team of the Year – Olympic Rowing Men’s Quadruple Scull (Rowing)
- Outstanding Service to Sport – Joint winners – Trudy Fajri (AFL), Carl Ruhen (Boxing) and Sanjay Sharma (Cricket)
- Rising Star– Jade Melbourne (Basketball)
- Ministers Award – Inclusion – Canberra Region Rugby League for Canberra Region Wheelchair Rugby League
- Ministers Award – Innovation – Little Athletics ACT for Online Participation Program
- Ministers Award – Event Excellence – Table Tennis ACT for the 2020 ACT Open
- ACT Sport Hall of Fame – Full Member – Jaime Fernandez (Rowing) and Eddie Palubinskas (Basketball)
- ACT Sport Hall of Fame – Associate Member – Phil Lynch (Sport Journalist) and Ben Gathercole (Triathlon)