The finalists for the 2021 CBR Sport Awards have been announced. These awards highlight our incredible, local sporting talent and the diverse range of sports where Canberran athletes excel.
While COVID-19 has continued to challenge Canberra’s sporting community, these awards are an opportunity to recognise the amazing goals that have still been achieved in 2021. Including at the Olympic and Paralympic Games, which provided many opportunities to celebrate.
The number of nominations this year demonstrates our city’s passion and continued commitment to sport and recreation. We commend all our finalists for their endurance and the inspiration they provide to our community.
Congratulations to all our finalists for their remarkable achievements and thank you to our judging panel – your job can’t have been easy with the high calibre of nominees this year.
The 2021 Awards ceremony will once again be a virtual event, to be held on Thursday, 2 December at 5.30pm. We look forward to celebrating the sporting achievements of our finalists online – with their families and supporters.
If you would like to attend the online event – you can register on the CBR Sport Awards event website at www.cbrsportawards.com.au
The award finalists are:
Athlete of the Year – Para Sport
- Nikki Ayers – Rowing
- Vanessa Low – Athletics
- James Turner – Athletics
Athlete of the Year – Women’s Sport
- Rebecca McConnell – Cycling, Mountain Bike
- Kelsey-Lee Barber – Athletics
- Laura Peel – Snowsports
Athlete of the Year – Men’s Sport
- James Turner (also a para sport finalist) – Athletics
- Andrew Charter – Hockey
- Patty Mills – Basketball
Team of the Year
- Cockatoos Senior Women – Orienteering
- Brumbies – Rugby Union
- Olympic Rowing Men’s Quadruple Scull – Rowing
- Tom Green – AFL
- Cameron Rogers – Cycling, Road
- Madeline Vagg – Rowing
- Jade Melbourne – Basketball
Minister for Sport and Recreation Award for Inclusion
- Capital Football – Canberra United Wheelchair Football
- Rowing ACT – Indoor Rowing Program at Alexander Maconochie Centre
- Canberra Region Rugby League – Canberra Region Wheelchair Rugby League
Minister for Sport and Recreation Award for Innovation
- Squash ACT – Online booking system at Woden Squash Centre
- Vikings Cycling Club – Women’s novice track cycling program
- Little Athletics ACT – Online participation program
Minister for Sport and Recreation Award for Event Excellence
- Stromlo Running Festival – 2020 event
- Table Tennis ACT – 2020 ACT Open
- Little Athletics ACT/Athletics ACT – 2021 Festival of Athletics