The finalists for the 2023 CBR Sport Awards were revealed today, acknowledging the achievements and excellence of Canberra’s outstanding individual athletes, sporting teams and the city’s sporting community more generally.
Each year, the CBR Sport Awards celebrate the commitment, resilience, innovation and diversity of Canberra’s sporting community. This year’s awards will take place on Thursday, 23 November at Manuka Oval.
“It has been another action packed year of sport in Canberra, and I was excited to reveal the finalists for the 2023 CBR Sport Awards today. Congratulations to all nominees, and I’d especially like to acknowledge this years’ finalists – you all set the bar so high and inspire others to follow your path,” said Minister for Sport and Recreation Yvette Berry.
“Canberra is a sporting capital and there is an abundance of local talent. I look forward to this time of year because these awards provide an opportunity for us to reflect on and recognise the outstanding achievements of so many local athletes, sporting teams and volunteers.
“I’d like to acknowledge and thank our judging panel. This year, once again, the calibre of nominees is very high and the shortlist process must have been very tough.”
The award finalists, in no particular order, are:
Athlete of the Year – Para Sport
- James Turner (Athletics)
- James Reynolds (Bowls)
- Nikki Ayers (Rowing)
Athlete of the Year – Men’s Sport
- Lewis Bates (Motorsport, Rally)
- Michael Matthews (Cycling, Road)
- Jay Vine (Cycling, Road)
Athlete of the Year – Women’s Sport
- Rebecca Henderson (Cycling, Mountain Bike)
- Laura Peel (Snowsports)
- Nikki Ayers (Rowing)
Team of the Year
- ACT U21 Male Indoor Hockey Team (Indoor Hockey)
- ACT Rockets (Indoor Cricket)
- Canberra Heat (Volleyball)
- Oscar Chamberlain (Cycling, Road)
- Lauren Bates (Cycling, Road)
- Cameron Myers (Athletics)
Minister for Sport and Recreation Award’s for Event Excellence
- Capital Football – 2023 Kanga Cup
- Capital Petanque – 2023 Capital Cup
- Cricket ACT – Festival of Cricket
Minister for Sport and Recreation’s Award for Innovation
- Triathlon ACT – 2023 Winter Series
- Hockey ACT – Walking Hockey
- Capital Athletics – Unification of Athletics in the ACT
Minister for Sport and Recreation’s Award for Inclusion
- Vikings Group – Kids into Sport
- Hockey ACT – Pride in Sport Program
- Dragon Boat ACT – Deaf Dragon Boat Program
“I look forward to celebrating our winners when they are revealed at the 2023 Awards ceremony,” said Minister Berry.
Tickets to the CBR Sport Awards night can be purchased from the event website at www.cbrsportawards.com.au