The finalists for the CBR Sport Awards 2022 – which recognise outstanding local teams and individual athletes – have been announced.
Minister for Sport and Recreation Yvette Berry said the awards highlight the incredible sporting talent in Canberra and the diverse range of sports in which local athletes excel.
“Congratulations to all who were nominated and, in particular, I’d like to acknowledge the finalists for their remarkable achievements,” Minister Berry said.
“There is a real depth of talent in Canberra’s sporting community and I’m thrilled to recognise the outstanding achievements of so many athletes and sporting teams.
“Thank you also to our judging panel. Your job cannot have been easy with the high calibre of nominees.”
The awards finalists, in no particular order, are:
Athlete of the Year – Para Sport
- Kathryn Ross – Rowing
- Jaydon Page – Athletics
- Samuel Harding – Triathlon
Athlete of the Year – Women’s Sport
- Laura Peel – Snowsports
- Kelsey-Lee Barber – Athletics
- Rebecca McConnell – Cycling, Mountain Bike
Athlete of the Year – Men’s Sport
- Michael Matthews – Cycling, Road
- Nick Kyrgios – Tennis
- Joseph Tapine – Rugby League
Team of the Year
- Canberra Gunners – Basketball
- ACT Griffins – Rugby Union
- Tuggeranong Vikings Masters Swimming Club – Swimming
- CBR Brave – Ice Hockey
- Cameron Rogers – Cycling, Road
- Kayla Hardy – Swimming
- Alex Toohey – Basketball
- Hockey ACT – Pride in Sport Program
- Manuka Tennis Club – Carbon neutral sustainability project
- Abilities Unlimited Australia/Royal Life Saving ACT – Waterabilities
- Volleyball ACT – ACT Beach Series
- Canberra Region Rugby League – Score Raiders
- Stromlo Running Festival – 2022 event
The 2022 awards ceremony will be held at 6.45pm on Friday 25 November at the Hotel Realm ballroom.
“I look forward to celebrating the sporting achievements of our finalists in person for the first time since 2019,” Minister Berry said.
Tickets to the CBR Sport Awards night can be purchased from www.cbrsportawards.com.au.
– Statement ends –
Yvette Berry, MLA | Media Releases