Congratulations to 2022 Athletes of the Year Kelsey-Lee Barber, Michael Matthews and Samuel Harding for Women’s Sport, Men’s Sport and Para Sport respectively, while the CBR Brave took home the award for Team of the Year.
- Kelsey Lee won gold in javelin at the 2022 World Athletic Championships and the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham this year
- Michael had a great year on tour, winning Stage 14 of the Tour de France and taking out the Sprints Classification at the 2022 Tour de Suisse
- Sam showed his strength as an athlete, winning silver at the Commonwealth Games.
Canberra’s sporting community has come together for the first time in two years to recognise and celebrate the outstanding achievements of our top athletes, teams and special contributors at the 2022 CBR Sport Awards.
Minister for Sport and Recreation Yvette Berry congratulated all the winners following the gala event on Friday night.
“I was thrilled to finally be able to join our sporting community in person to celebrate their successes after a two year hiatus.
“Kelsey Lee Barber, Michael Matthews and Samuel Harding have had an outstanding year.
“Canberrans love sport and we continue to have the highest participation rates in the country. The CBR Sport Awards provide us with an opportunity to highlight the incredible sporting talent in Canberra and the diverse range of sports in which our local athletes excel.
“This year’s impressive list of finalists demonstrates the excellence and strength of our sporting sector. Congratulations to this year’s outstanding winners,” said Minister Berry.
The 2022 CBR Sport Award winners are:
- Athlete of the Year – Women’s Sport – Kelsey-Lee Barber (Athletics)
- Athlete of the Year – Men’s Sport – Michael Matthews (Cycling, Road)
- Athlete of the Year – Para Sport – Samuel Harding (Triathlon)
- Team of the Year – CBR Brave (Ice Hockey)
- Outstanding Service to Sport – Joint winners – Gary Green (Rugby League), Gillian Styles (Dragon Boating) and Paul Smith (Archery)
- Rising Star – Alex Toohey (Basketball)
- ACT Sport Hall of Fame – Full Member – Darren Beadman (Horse Racing) and Glenn Lazarus (Rugby League)
- ACT Sport Hall of Fame – Associate Member – Ben Williams (Football)
- Minister for Sport and Recreation Award for Innovation – Manuka Tennis Club Sustainability Initiative
- Minister for Sport and Recreation Award for Inclusion – Canberra Raiders ‘Score Raiders’
- Minister for Sport and Recreation Award for Event Excellence – Stromlo Running Festival